Wednesday 15 September 2010

"Scream, it's extreme."

Oh yes.

Last week I squeezed in a trip to Brighton to see my favouritest friend, Kyle. We did a bit of window licking down the old laines - I LOVE the skinny alleys and windows full of gorgeous costume jewellery, and candy coloured ice cream shops, and artsy postcards. Kyle introduced me to a new cupcake shop, where I fell in love with the giant cupcakes - I hadn't seen any like it before, and just wish it was my birthday tomorrow! he he
I found a house that was painted in the best colours in the world...



I went into a lomo camera shop there to ask for advice - only to be told the news I feared most. My camera's broken. :(

But I made myself feel better by buying a few of my favourite buttons and strips of garish salmon pink ribbon in that haberdashery I really like. Followed by some gorgeous matte shimmery fuchsia pink card - its a simple pleasure that only other arty minded folk would understand. ha ha ha

We later sat on the beach to tuck in to fish and chips (with lots of vinegar please) and pear Kopperberg. It's one of my favourite things to do.
The walkway part on to the old burnt down pier has now been removed, which is a bit sad. It looked like a sculpture the way it was. But it's always pretty good to know that if you never get bored of looking at and taking photos of these things you like, it makes it all the more obvious to you when these things change. It's important to notice.

We went to the newer Pier, and somehow the rides seemed more appealing and magic even though they were closed for the night.


I realised I don't think I've ever been on the bumper cars. So we DIYed it - Kyle had to push and I steered. Amazing.
The best photo EVER? Makes me laugh SO much...



I'm sure a while ago, I posted a picture that I loved with a sign like this. I made my own version:



Yesterday I was a 'visiting artist' at a local Primary School. It was SO fun! I thought I was going to be having a little group of 6 or so children, but ended up talking to 26 4-12 year olds, I was so nervous! he he

So they were very excited to see all my paintbrushes, and giant pencils and palette knives and the largest stick of charcoal you've ever seen. And were very excited to look at my work and to ask me lots of questions - which I found a big challenge (having to answer questions sensibly in short, simple words, on the spot, thinking quickly). ha ha ha

By the end, after learning about different ways of shading, and trying out my stinky Letraset Tria markers, and telling me about projects they'd done, and asking me to show them how to draw a train...and a rabbit drinking milkshake, and so on and so on, we were getting very excited about the idea of a regular art club. I would love it so much - it's so amazing watching these little faces listening to your every word, making them feel inspired to draw and paint and learn more! So, we'll see...

Fingers crossed, I should be going in to a college to do the same next week! Fun, fun, fun.

We have a lovely family event coming up soon (my grandma's big seven oh), so I've got the exciting job of invites, place settings and 'event organisation arty input', he he.





I'm going to print them on my favourite-necessary for everything-fabric embossed paper.

Listening to Ou est le Swimming Pool, and MGMT's 'Pieces of What'. Sounds so good right now.

Ok, I'm off to paint...

No comments: